Another information source for FreeNAS® is the Forums. Forums contain user-contributed tips and guides which have been categorized, making it an ideal resource if you wish to learn more about a certain aspect of FreeNAS®. A searchbar is included should you wish to search by keyword; alternately, you can click a category to browse through the threads that exist for that topic.
The following categories are available under Forum Information:
- Forum Guidelines: read this first before creating a forum post.
- Announcements: subscribe to this forum if you wish to receive announcements about new FreeNAS® versions and features.
The following categories are available under Help and Support:
- FreeNAS 4 N00bs: post here if you are new to FreeNAS® and are unsure which category best matches your question.
- Feature Requests: for the discussion of upcoming features and to request features not listed on the Roadmap.
- Bug Reporting: use this forum if you think you have found a bug in FreeNAS® and want to discuss it before creating a support ticket.
- Hardware: for the discussion of hardware and tips for getting the most out of your hardware.
- User Authentication: LDAP and Active Directory.
- Sharing: AFP, CIFS, NFS, and iSCSI.
- Storage: replication, snapshots, volumes, and ZFS.
- Networking: networking hardware, performance, link aggregation, VLANs, DDNS, FTP, SNMP, SSH, and TFTP.
- Installation: installing help or advice before performing the installation
- Plugins: provides a discussion area for creating and troubleshooting PBIs.
The following categories are available under Development:
- FreeNAS: general development discussion.
- nanobsd: the embedded operating system FreeNAS® is based upon.
- Django: the web framework used by the FreeNAS® graphical administrative interface.
The following categories are available under How-To Guides:
- Hacking: undocumented tricks for getting the most out of your FreeNAS® system.
- Installation: specific installation scenarios (hardware and/or software).
- Configuration: specific configuration scenarios (e.g. software or client configuration).
- Hardware: instructions for setting up specific hardware.
If you are looking for tips on how to test and increase the performance of your system, check out the Performance forum.
The following categories are available under Community Forum:
- Off-topic: want to discuss something of interest to FreeNAS® users but which is not necessarily related to FreeNAS®? This is your place.
- Introductions: FreeNAS® Community meet 'n greet - introduce yourself and let us know who we are chatting with.
The following language-specific categories are available under International, allowing FreeNAS® users to interact with each other in their native language:
If you wish to ask a question on the forum, you will need to click the "Sign Up Now!" link to create an account and login using that account.
When asking a question on the forum, it is important that you:
- First check to see if the question has already been asked. If you find a similar question, do not create a new thread. Instead use the "Reply" link at the bottom of the post to add your comments to the existing thread.
- Review the available categories to see which one is most closely related to your question. Click on that category and use the "Post New Thread" button to open the editor. After typing your post and before you click the "Create Thread" button, make sure the "Watch this thread..." box is checked. If you want to be notified by email, also check the “and receive email notifications” box. That way you will be notified whenever anyone answers your question.